Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Gift of Sight

Having worn glasses for close to 40 years, I don't take my vision lightly.  I appreciate that my glasses bend the light coming into my eyes so that the focal point lands on my retina.  Or however that works.  The experience I've had over the last 4 weeks that started with a torn retina in my left eye has left me appreciating my vision to an even greater degree, and even more, I appreciate having two eyes.  Spare body parts are good things!
Although not yet back to normal, the vision in my left eye is much improved from the day a blood vessel let loose in the interior of my eyeball.  Being temporarily blind in one eye is a manageable challenge.  The first 2 weeks, I didn't drive.  We live around the corner from the mid-town bus gathering point, so I rode the bus to work.  Doug, Ben, some dear friends, and my friendly colleagues gave me rides to appointments or home at the end of some days.  
At this point, my vision is around 90% - it's like having a film on my glasses.  If the healing continues at a similar rate, it could be close to 100% in a week or so.  The gift of sight is truly an amazing thing.

No comments: